Built by the Alkaff family in 1932 to cater to the large Muslim community living in the area, it was then known as the Alkaff Mosque.
It was originally located at Jalan Abdul Manan which was about 1km away from its present location, 200 Bedok Reservoir Road.
On November 1989, the mosque was renamed as Alkaff Kampung Melayu Mosque.
A month later, on 30th December 1989, on Masjid Alkaff Kampung Melayu Building Committee was formed.
And about 2 years later, plans to move and rebuild the mosque at its present location was underway with the ground breaking ceremony held on 4th January 1992.
The new mosque was built at a cost of S$5.6 million and took two years to complete.
It was the last mosque to be built under the Phase II of the Mosque Building Fund initiated by Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (MUIS).
The Mosque Building Fund was introduced in the middle of 1975 with an objective to provide funds for the Mosque Building programme in Singapore.
Making way for housing and other public infrastructure projects was the reason behind the move. presently on its old location, lies Bedok North Secondary School.
On 30 December 1994, the new mosque was completed and declared open. The following day, it opened its doors for Friday prayer for the first time at its new location.
Worshippers in the main hall in the current masjid
Facade of the current masjid
The new mosque is a three storey building and occupied a land area of about 3,000 sq. m.
It can accommodate up to 3,000 worshippers (jemaah).
Besides being a place for worship, it is also a centre for education and other administrative needs of the Muslim community in the area.
Activities conducted at the mosque such as sermons and public programmes can be broadcast throughout the building.
This is done via mounted controllable cameras, with the captured picture and sound transmitted through monitors that are strategically located on each floor.
The mosque is among the few in Singapore that offer religious classes for the hearing-impaired and disabled.
It is also one of several mosques in Singapore that accepts payment of Zakat throughout the year.
Zakat is one of the five pillars of Islam.
A Muslim would donate 2.5% of his wealth to the needy and the poor in the form of alms annually.
Located on the first floor are the main administration office, main prayer hall and a multipurpose hall.
The main prayer hall is equipped with plush carpeting and high-domed ceiling.
The multipurpose hall is used for conducting religious programmes and, at times, to accommodate large congregations.
The second floor serves as a place for female worshippers (Muslimah) except during large congregations such as the Friday prayers, Hari Raya Puasa and Hari Raya Haji when it is used to host male worshippers (Muslimin) who have spilled over from the main prayer hall.
There are also classrooms for conducting religious classes.
The third floor houses another office and a conference room.
Today, the mosque has become a familiar landmark in the area.
Best Viewed with Internet Explorer 6.0 and above, at 1024 by 768 resolution.
Adobe Flash Player 9 or above is needed for OPTIMAL VIEWING.